Thursday, September 1, 2011

Writing My Submission to the Sex Crimes Against Black Girls Anthology

Last night and early this morning I submitted my personal essay and two new comics I drew that break the taboo of talking about childhood sexual abuse (CSA) to the the Sex Crimes Against Black Girls Anthology. Go to the website to learn more about this project:



It has been quite an exploration for me, revealing a lot of my history as a childhood sexual abuse survivor and detailing my healing process. It is the first time I've written about it and at 19 pages (double spaced) it's the most I've ever written. I'm proud of myself! I got through it! I've spoken a lot publicly about it my CSA, but writing this much was a whole different process. I've had to give myself lots of self care, that's why I haven't posted anything here since early last month.

As I am planning to write an autobiography (in 2 parts) this was a good way for me to jump start that project, it's time for me to set a deadline for part 1.

I'm really enjoying drawing the comics. Drawing comics was one of my first art-forms as a little girl. There are a whole lot of ideas and themes for comics that are brewing for me. Be on the lookout, as I will be posting them as they come!

My husband Haji also submitted a personal essay to the anthology, from his point of view as a man loving a woman survivor of CSA. Now we patiently wait to see if we are selected.

No comments:

Post a Comment